I'm on fire...

Today was more exciting than I wanted.  My mom was going to watch Kai and I was gonna get some stuff done, like cleaning, laundry, studying and maybe visiting a friend.  Too bad most of that didn't happen...well, except the cleaning part.

I was making Kai some oatmeal.  I put the pan on the stove, turned it on and went to the bathroom.  While in the bathroom I heard crackling noises.  I thought that was weird, that was really fast for the water to already be boiling. I came out of the bathroom to find our brita water filter on FIRE!!

There were flames and I had to think fast.  We haven't bought a fire extinguisher yet (which i was glad about because then I would have to clean that up too) so I grabbed a cup and put some water in it.  I had to put about 3 glasses of water on the fire before it was down enough that I could turn the burner off. 

To say I was a scared would be an understatment.  Luckily, Kai was watching word world and oblivious to everything that was happening.  After I got the fire out I had to open all the windows, the back door and turn the a/c on (just had to mention that it was 38 degrees outside).  Unfortunately, we don't have ceiling fans.  The whole house smelled like burning plastic and was filled with smoke.  Once the smoke disappated I realized that everything had a thin layer of soot. 

So I spent my day without Kai cleaning soot off everything.  And I couldn't just wipe it off because then the black would just spread all over.  Needless to say it wasn't very much fun.  But I am so terribly thankful that it didn't end badly.  We are all safe and all my material possesions are unburnt...except for my water filter, of course!!

 RIP water filter!
 Can you see that cobweb?  It was invisible until it got covered in soot!!  That is just one of many.
 This shelf is on the opposite side of the apartment from the kitchen!
My feet were frozen so I put socks on and found that my feet were also covered in soot!

. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply