Parenting styles...

I was reading Mel's blog post the other day and it got me thinking about my parenting style. I must say that I am doing things much differently than I thought I would.

First off, I heart co-sleeping so very much. It is not something I think I will do long term, but for now it works great for me. Josh pointed out that he thinks cosleeping is more for the mother and/or father than it is for the baby. I agree, I have seen babies put in their crib from the day they are brought home and turn out just fine. For me cosleeping keeps me sane. I worked so long and hard to get this kid I don't want him out of my sight. I love being able to put my hand on his tummy and feel him breathing at any time. I also love when he wakes up at 3 in the morning and I can roll over feed him and then roll over and go back to bed. That is a definate plus. We are teaching him to go to sleep on his own without us laying next to him. I want to be able to leave him with someone and not worry that he won't be able to sleep without us. He does great at nap time. Bedtime still needs some work but we are getting there.

I also breastfeed on demand. Now I did decide to give him a pacifier early on because I didn't want to be his pacifier. But if he wants to feed then why not. I'm not particular to a crying baby so I am happy to feed him when I think that is what he wants. But because of the pacifier he is pretty much on an every 2.5-3 hour feeding schedule. I also decided to introduce a bottle at a very young age. I wanted to be able to be away from him for extended period of times without him starving. So now others can feed him while I am gone.

I am also a babywearer. Annie got me a ring sling for my shower and I love it. I don't use it as much as I thought I would but when I do it is a life saver. When he is being clingy and I have to get stuff done the sling does the trick.

Now how about an update on the cutest boy. He is doing great. He loves cereal and eats like a champ. In a couple weeks I will start introducing veggies. I am sure he will loves those too. He is cutting two teeth. I couldn't believe it when I felt the first one. He has been a champ though, not hardly fussy at all. I did get him an amber necklace, I know a few people who have used it and liked it, so I thought why not.

He can almost sit up on his own. When I prop him inside his boppy he does a great job. We are putting him in his PNP and he sits there and plays with his toys. He is such a big boy. We have retired the swing and the bouncer chair. Neither on of them made him happy any more. We did get out his car walker. He is very cute in it. Not really moving around in it much yet. He still does love his jumperoo. It makes him very happy.

He loves to talk and always has much to say. He loves to smile and laugh. I think he is starting to get ticklish. He will wiggle all around if we tickle him under his arm. He loves bathtime. He kicks and splashes like crazy. We have started playing with toys in the tub too.

I think that is about all. Here are some of his 5 month pics in the bluebonnets. He is the one who picked flower, so if anyone should go to jail it is him!!!


This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply